Borrow a Clean & Green Toolkit
Help Gowanus Canal Conservancy take care of street trees and gardens by borrowing a Clean & Green Toolkit! The kit will be yours until June 20, and includes gloves, a safety vest, garbage and recycling bags, a trowel, a cultivator, and a bag of mulchy compost. You will also receive a map of suggested local street trees and gardens to visit in Gowanus, and instructions for street tree stewardship.
Option 1: $5 Refundable Cash Deposit upon Pickup - A $5 cash deposit is required when picking up your toolkit, which will be refunded to you in cash when you return your kit on June 20.
Option 2: $5, $10, or $20 Donation - A credit card donation in lieu of a refundable deposit. All donations support Gowanus Canal Conservancy's mission-based programs.
We are actively following the safety guidance from the New York City Volunteer Coordination Task Force by instituting the following safety requirements for using your kit.
Before Doing Volunteer Work:
The health and safety of our community is a priority. If any of the following conditions apply to you, stay home and DO NOT engage in stewardship activities outside the home:
- You are sick
- You are an older adult and/or have chronic health conditions, including chronic lung disease, heart disease, diabetes, cancer or a weakened immune system.
When Doing Volunteer Work:
- Do not gather in groups and keep at least six feet between you and others.
- Wear a face covering. People who do not show symptoms may still be able to spread COVID-19. A face covering prevents you from spreading COVID-19 to other people.
- Wash your hands often, including at the start and end of your volunteer opportunity. Use soap and water and scrub for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve when sneezing or coughing. Do not use your hands.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Do not shake hands.
Only one person should come to the pick-up (if more than one person, everyone must be in the same household). Please come at the designated time on your ticket and follow the guidelines of NYC Department of Health for going outside, which includes practicing social distancing by maintaining a six feet distance from others and wearing a face covering.